Friday, April 6, 2007

Reporting

Learning about reporting is an ongoing project.

As an individual with no formal education on media writing, I've often had to make it up as I go along. I do read voraciously, so I can "get the gist" of what needs to be said and how.

But every so often, I encounter a possiblity to get that glimpse into "the big time."

The most recent possiblity opened when the Stark County girls' basketball team traveled to state.

Right after the super-sectionals, our fine office manager Lynne contacted the IHSA and found how we could apply for a press pass for the tournament. There was a time limit and several rules and procedures to go through, including establishing credentials that I was an authorized journalist! But Lynne was more than up to the task and had our passes ready to be picked up at the game.

My ride dropped me off at the back of the auditorium in Bloomington, where the media door was located. It really was the "back lot" and I nosily pushed my way through an unmarked door and wandered into the check in area. I had my identification and information and was given my media packet and a tour of the press room for interviews and a seat right on the playing floor.

During the game I had a view of the television anchors filming and editing the game and watching the commercials that were broadcast at every time out. Setting myself up on the floor under the baskets and taking photos, I tried to capture that "great action shot".

I know it was just a small moment, but it was mine and I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to more opportunities in the future.

No comments: